6-2 Summary of Process for Determining Eligibility of
The following six-step process (discussed in detail in 6-3) can help you
decide whether your mailpiece is eligible for nonprofit rates under current
content-based rules. (Other requirements must also be considered for
determining that a mailpiece may be mailed at the nonprofit rates. For
example, see the cooperative mail rule and other requirements in 4-3.) The
flow chart in Exhibit 6-2 summarizes these steps:
• Step 1: Examine the mailpiece for products (see 6-3.1).
• Step 2: Determine whether the product to be mailed meets one of the
three statutory provisions for mailing at the nonprofit rates - that is, the
product is a low-cost item, a donated item, or a periodical publication
• Step 3: Examine the mailpiece for advertisements (see 6-3.3).
• Step 4: Determine whether the mailpiece contains any prohibited or
restricted advertisement (see 6-3.4).
• Step 5: Determine whether the mailpiece meets the content
requirements for a periodical publication - also referred to as the
"space advertisement exception" (see 6-3.5).
• Step 6: Determine the substantial relatedness of each advertised
product or service (see 6-3.6).
Product and Advertising Steps