2-3 Ineligible Organizations
2-3.1 Governmental Organizations
Regulations provide that state, county, and municipal governmental
organizations are generally not eligible for the Nonprofit Standard Mail rates.
However, a separate and distinct state, county, or municipal governmental
organization that meets the criteria for any one of the categories in 2-2-1 may
be eligible, notwithstanding its governmental status. Examples include school
districts, public libraries, and soil and water conservation districts.
Nevertheless, governmental organizations are normally not eligible under the
philanthropic category since their income is not generally derived from
voluntary contributions or donations.
2-3.2 Other Typical Ineligible Organizations
Even if organized on a nonprofit basis, these and similar organizations are
ineligible for the nonprofit rates:
• Associations of rural electric cooperatives.
• Automobile clubs.
• Business leagues.
• Chambers of commerce.
• Citizens' and civic improvement associations.
• Mutual insurance associations.
• Political organizations (other than those specified in 2-2.2).
• Service clubs - e.g., Civitan, Kiwanis, Lions, Optimist, and Rotary.
• Social and hobby clubs.
• Trade associations.