Quick Service Guide 507b
Courtesy Reply Mail
January 2, 2011
507a, Business Reply Mail (BRM)
507c, Meter Reply Mail (MRM)
Courtesy Reply Mail (CRM) consists of preaddressed postcards or envelopes provided by the mailer to customers both to expedite their responses and to provide more accurate delivery. It differs from Business Reply Mail (BRM) in that no fees are required and the respondent is responsible for applying the correct postage before mailing back the card or envelope. CRM can come back faster because it is prepared with the correct address and barcode to take advantage of automated USPS processing. It is also good to use when you wish to direct replies (payments) to an address that is different from your usual mailing address. CRM templates are available on the Postal Explorer Web site at pe.usps.com by selecting "Mailpiece Design" in the left frame.
The USPS provides free of charge the facing identification mark (FIM) and the appropriate barcode to print on CRM pieces. The guidelines on page two will help optimize the use of this format.
Market research shows that providing barcoded envelopes makes good business sense:
- Barcoded reply envelopes can be processed and delivered faster by the Post Office.
- Customers save the time required to find an envelope, look up an address, and then write or type the address.
- Customers with correctly addressed return envelopes do not make addressing errors that can delay your returns.
- Customers and donors return payments and pledges significantly faster when supplied with a return envelope.
- Providers of return envelopes get remittance faster for optimum cash flow.
- Customers who are "thanked" by the back copy on the envelope flap are more likely to repeat the performance of mailing remittances or donations.
- Automated processing of properly prepared barcoded reply mail provides accurate sorting and eliminates mail delay.
- Customers have positive attitudes about creditors, marketers, and fundraisers who show thoughtfulness in providing reply envelopes.
- Providers of reply mail envelopes get orders faster, reducing inventories and their investment in them.
- Providers of reply envelopes receive and fulfill orders sooner, which improves customer relations.
- Providers using barcoded reply envelopes see faster initial response, giving them an earlier projection of future activity.
Delivery point POSTNET or Intelligent Mail barcodes may be placed either in the address block or in the lower right barcode clear zone.
All letter-size reply cards and envelopes (Business Reply Mail, Courtesy Reply Mail, and meter reply mail) provided as enclosures in automation First-Class Mail, Periodicals, and Standard Mail should meet the standards in 201.3.17.
Courtesy Reply Mail Layout Guidelines
Dimensions: Between 3-1/2 by 5 inches and 6-1/8 by 11-1/2 inches. To qualify for the card price, cards must be between 3-1/2 by
5 inches and 4-1/4 by 6 inches. Larger postcard sizes are mailable, but they are charged at the regular First-Class Mail letter price. Postcard thickness must be between 0.007 and 0.016 inch.
- If letter mail is more than 4-1/4 inches high or more than 6 inches long, it must be at least 0.009 inch thick.
- A surcharge is assessed for nonmachinable letter-size mailpieces (101.1.2).
Ink/paper Colors and Type Styles:
Not all colors of paper and/or ink and type styles are compatible with automated equipment. Contact your local Post Office for guidance.
All letter-size reply cards and envelopes (Business Reply Mail, Courtesy Reply Mail, and meter reply mail) provided as enclosures in automation First-Class Mail, Periodicals, and Standard Mail must meet the standards in 201.3.17
Back to Top