The National Customer Rulings program provides strategic customers with
decisions on mailpiece design, price eligibility, and issues
classification decisions on the prices that will be charged
on a customer’s proposed mailings before deposit at a
Business Mail Entry office. These decisions provide customers
with increased confidence in planning and budgeting for mailings
and certainty of acceptance at entry points. The PCSC works with
each customer to customize the procedures for its participation
in the program.
Overview of the Process
• Prior to mailing, the customer submits a proposed mailpiece
design and requested price to the PCSC, in electronic or
print format, along with information concerning volumes,
locations, and dates of mailing.
• The PCSC reviews the
piece against USPS mailing standards and requests additional
information if needed. The PCSC then issues a decision on the
• If the mailpiece design is approved for the
price requested, the PCSC issues a pre-approved national decision
that may be presented with the mailing at any USPS acceptance
unit where the mailer is authorized to enter that mail.
PCSC communicates decisions by e-mail to the customer and its
mailing locations, with a printed follow-up letter if applicable.
• If the piece
is not approved for the price requested, the PCSC provides the
reason, and the mailer may modify the mailpiece and resubmit.
Benefits to the Customer
• The program provides a single point of contact to streamline communication
• Mailpieces for review may be sent via e-mail using a PDF file format,
and the PCSC will communicate decisions to customers
and to their mailing locations, with a follow-up letter/e-mail if applicable. This process expedites
turnaround time for review and decisions.
• Decisions are made prior to mailing and are valid at all USPS acceptance
points where the customer is authorized to enter that mail, ensuring consistency
in the application of prices.
• These decisions eliminate questions and uncertainty at acceptance. Customers
need only present their PCSC approvals at the time of mailing.
• The program reduces the possibility of disputes and appeals and reduces
costly efforts to resolve them.
• The PCSC works with each customer to customize the procedures for its
participation in the program to ensure mutual understanding of roles, responsibilities,
• Customers will be able to plan their mailing campaigns with confidence
and maintain projected budgets.
How to Get Started
The National Customer Rulings program is voluntary and available
to high-volume customers who present mail at multiple USPS locations. Interested
customers should provide general information regarding their
mailings (i.e., types, classes, volumes, and locations) and
their contact information using the National Customer Rulings Application
Form (HTML or PDF) or
may direct inquiries to:
Manager, National Customer Rulings
Pricing and Classification Service Center
United States Postal Service
90 Church Street, Suite 3100
New York, NY 10007-2951