|Skip Navigation ||
Contingency Plans for Acceptance
of Mailings Affected by Hurricane
Contingency plans for acceptance of mailings are available for mailers who may be affected by Hurricane Sandy. If PostalOne! ® is unavailable in hurricane-impacted areas, or mailers are unable to produce/submit their electronic mailing documentation or postage statements, the BMEU, DMU or Post Office will operate under the PostalOne! Contingency Plan. Please consult with your local Manager of Business Mail Entry for possible alternate acceptance locations if the office at which your mailings are normally submitted is closed due to the storm.
Below is a brief summary of the PostalOne! Contingency Plan, which will allow mailings to continue to be accepted with as little impact on the mailer as possible:
· Acceptance units will move to a manual process when necessary to record mailings presented if the PostalOne! system is unavailable.
· Acceptance units will complete A Record of Mailings log for each permit holder that presents a mailing if the PostalOne! system is unavailable.
· Mailers who normally submit their postage statements electronically, either through the Postal Wizard or through Mail.dat® or Mail.XML®, may submit hardcopy postage statements or provide a hardcopy log with pertinent mailing information.
· The log must include, at a minimum, the following elements: Mailer Name, Permit Holder Name, Permit Number/Type, Processing Category, Class, Total pieces, Total Full Service pieces and Total Postage.
· If a mailer is unable to upload files and PostalOne! is operational, the Full-Service discount will be allowed pending outcome of the problem.
· Mailers will need to submit their Full-Service electronic documentation once the systems are restored.
Mailers who are entering Plant Verified Drop Shipment (PVDS) mailings and cannot reach the intended destinating facility may deposit the mailing at the nearest open Postal Service facility that can accommodate the mailing. Mailers will be required to submit the appropriate PS Form 8125 with the mailing to show postage has been paid.
Mailers may review the Mail Services Update on usps.com at http://about.usps.com/news/service-alerts/welcome.htm for the latest list of affected postal facilities and redirections.
If you have any questions please call the USPS PostalOne! Help Desk at 800-522-9085.