M600 Standard Mail (Nonautomation)
M660 describes the basic preparation and marking standards for Customized MarketMail (CMM) pieces meeting the eligibility standards in E660.
All mailings and all pieces in each mailing prepared as Customized MarketMail (CMM) are subject to specific preparation standards in 1.0 and 2.0 and to these general standards:
a. All pieces must meet the standards for basic eligibility in E610 and specific eligibility in E660. Nonprofit Standard Mail pieces must meet the additional eligibility standards in E670.
b. CMM pieces must not be part of a mailing containing any other type of Standard Mail pieces.
c. Each mailing must meet the applicable standards for mail preparation in M010 and M020 and the following:
(1) Subject to the marking standards in M012, Regular Standard Mail pieces must be marked Presorted Standard (or PRSRT STD) and Nonprofit Standard Mail pieces must be marked Nonprofit Organization (or Nonprofit Org. or Nonprofit). All pieces must also be marked Customized MarketMail, CUST MKTMAIL, or CMM.
(2) At the mailers option, a carrier route information line under M014 may be added. If this option is used, a carrier route code must be applied to every piece in the mailing and must be applied using CASS-certified software and the current USPS Carrier Route File scheme, hard copy Carrier Route Files, or another AIS product containing carrier route information, subject to A930 and A950. Carrier route information must be updated within 90 days before the mailing date.
d. All pieces in the mailing must meet the specific sortation and preparation standards in M660.
e. Pieces are subject to the rate eligibility specified in E660.
CMM is subject to the same options of postage payment (precanceled stamps, metered postage, or permit imprint) for Standard Mail pieces as permitted under P600.
A complete, signed postage statement, using the correct USPS form or an approved facsimile with the residual shape surcharge, must accompany each mailing. The mailer must also provide an extra copy of the postage statement and a sample of the CMM mailpiece. The sample and the copy postage statement are then forwarded by the USPS to the New York Rates and Classification Service Center (see G042 for address). Mailings of nonidenticial-weight pieces or mailings using more than three different types of containers must also be supported by standardized documentation meeting the standards in P012. Documentation for nonidentical-weight pieces is not required if the correct rate is affixed to each piece.
Two or more pieces to the same 5-digit destination must be packaged under M020 in any container to maintain the integrity and stability of the pieces throughout transit and handling. The maximum weight for any package is 20 pounds. Pieces of irregular thickness must also be counterstacked as provided in M020. At the mailers option, CMM may be prepared in carrier route packages, subject to the applicable standards in M050 and E630.
If more than three types of containers are used, the mailing must be prepared using an approved manifest mailing system (MMS) under P910, unless the Business Mailer Support (BMS) manager approves another postage payment system. Each mailing presented in mailer-supplied containers must be accompanied by sample containers for tare weight calculations. The size of the containers must be appropriate to the dimensions of the pieces, and the number of containers must be appropriate to the volume of pieces in the mailing. If Express Mail or Priority Mail drop shipment is used, containers are subject to the standards in M072.
Mail must be prepared in 5-digit, 5-digit scheme using L606, or 5-digit carrier route containers, with no minimum volume (piece or weight) required for an individual container. In addition to the required labeling, mailer-supplied containers must be marked DELIVERY UNITOPEN AND DISTRIBUTE on the container label or on the address side of the container. Containers are prepared and labeled as follows:
a. PVDS drop shipments must be prepared in 5-digit or 5-digit carrier route trays, sacks, or mailer-supplied containers and labeled as follows:
(1) Line 1: City, state, and 5-digit ZIP Code on mail.
(2) Line 2: DEL LTR STD CMM MAN (for letter trays); DEL FLTS STD CMM MAN (for flat trays); DEL STD CMM MAN (for sacks or mailer-supplied containers).
(3) Line 3: Office of mailing or mailer information (see M031).
b. Express Mail and Priority Mail drop shipments must be prepared in USPS-provided Express Mail or Priority Mail containers (i.e., pouches, sacks, cartons, or envelopes) or in mailer-supplied containers and must be labeled under M072.
DMM Issue 58 (8-10-03)